Can you already start feeling how strong your tennis game is getting with this new fueling education? Your fuel is your energy on the court, so the stronger your fuel the greater level you’ll play.
I’m going to wrap up this five-part series with two more important fueling strategies, post-match fuel and in-match fueling.
Let’s maximize your post-match fuel.
Your pre-match fuel (shared in article three of this series) ensures your body is ready to optimally perform at the start of the match and the high quality foods will maximize your glucose stores for energy.
Your post-match fuel is designed to fully replenish your body fuel and hydration stores. The faster you can replenish your body the quicker you recover and are ready for the next match.
Now your post-match meal recommendations will be similar foods to your pre-match meal recommendations.
One important note is that depending on your intensity level, you may have an increased appetite for the rest of the day due to the amount of energy your body expended (this happens to me all the time after a long match!)
All you need to do is continue eating PFC Every 3 balanced meals when you’re hungry (even if it’s before 3 hours), as this will ensure optimal recovery.
Here are your 3 Post-Match Eating Guidelines:
1) Guideline 1 - Eat a high or medium quality meal within 30 minutes after your match so you can start replenishing your fuel. Since this is post-match and you may be celebrating with your tennis team or hanging out at the tennis club, it’s all right to eat medium quality foods for this particular occasion, but definitely avoid them pre-match.
Make sure to drink at least 2-4 cups (8 oz. per cup) of water within 60 minutes after your competition to ensure you’re rehydrated
2) Guideline 2 - Choose from the list of high or medium quality proteins, carbs and fats to ensure that your body digests them well and provides a feeling of replenishment.
Your pre-match meal is all about feeling light and fast, your post-match meal is designed to leave you feeling replenished. Remember the note I just shared, if you expended a lot of energy, your appetite may be stronger than normal; if you’re still hungry after you eat, increase your portion sizes for that meal.
Important Note: You can have a protein shake, bar or meal replacement if whole food isn’t available immediately after your match. But primarily focus on eating whole food pre and post-match and using shakes and bars for during match fuel.
3) Guideline 3 - We all love a great post-match dinner, especially if the match went well! Simply apply these same eating concepts when eating in a restaurant.
Here are four meal examples of what a great Post-Match Meal looks like for both female and male tennis players (simply adjust to your portion sizes):
-Steak (protein & fat), Asparagus (carb) & Rice (carb)
-Turkey Meatballs (protein & fat) & Gluten Free Pasta (carb)
-Barbecue Chicken Pizza (protein, fat & carb)
-Lettuce Wrapped Turkey Burger on Sweet Potato Bun (protein, fat & carb)
You’re all set with you Pre and Post match fuel, let’s wrap up this series with the fueling strategy that will give you the competitive edge in the late games and sets in a match! Time to dive into how to fuel during your match. (Coming July 5, 2017)
-Winning the Final Set - How to Fuel During Your Match (coming July 5, 2017)
And the next time a friend tells you to carb load, you can educate them on the real facts!
Most important, Mark Macdonald is a husband to his wife Abbi and father to their 12-year-old son Hunter and 2-year-old baby girl, Hope.
Professionally, he’s a world renowned nutrition & fitness expert, best-selling author, television personality, international teacher and speaker, and entrepreneur who has coached everyone from celebrities to athletes to business executives to busy moms on how to permanently get their body back with cutting edge nutrition, fitness and lifestyle strategies.
He is the founder of Venice Nutrition and the IBNFC: International Board of Nutrition and Fitness Coaching, author of the New York Times Bestselling books Body Confidence and Why Kids Make You Fat and How to Get Your Body Back, as well as a featured health expert for many national media outlets, a few being: Dr. OZ, CNN, HLN, Access Hollywood, NBC, FOX and Chelsea Lately.
Mark is also a sought after keynote health speaker and continually speaks throughout the world.
- For Adults - Our 8 Week Plan - it's a powerful plan that has helped a couple million people rock their health, it's a global plan and featured in my why kids make you fat and how to get your body back book. Here is the website - www.8WeekRun.com
- For kids, we have a powerful Kid Athlete program that supports the info in the 5 Part series and connects perfectly with the 8 Week Plan so tennis families can rock it together - all the info about that is on www.HowToFeedYourKidAthlete.com