DUBAI, UAE - From partying like a rock star to running wild with Bear Grylls and keeping his winning streak going in Dubai, Roger Federer has been a busy man since winning the Australian Open.
Here are 10 things the G.O.A.T. has done since winning that historic 18th Grand Slam title:
1. He celebrated his Australian Open title like a rock star. “We started late, or super early in the morning,” he told atpworldtour.com about the all-nighter. “We made it home by sunrise, which was good. It was nice to see the sun rise over Melbourne. So it was a long night but a lot of fun. Everyone was in such a good mood. It was a special day, a special couple of weeks, and finished off in a great way, being silly and having a lot of fun. Forgetting about everything… all the pressure went away.”
2. He shone at the champion’s photo shoot. Federer took his Australian Open trophy to the champion’s photo shoot at Carlton Gardens on the Monday afternoon - the day after the all-nighter:
3. He soared back into the Top 10. After spending 11 weeks outside the elite, Federer went from No.17 to No.10 on the post-Aussie Open rankings. He’s still hanging tough at No.10 this week.
4. He took his Australian Open trophy to the top of a Swiss mountain. Saying it was always one of his goals, Federer tweeted out a series of iconic pics from the mountain top. Here’s one of them:
5. He filmed an episode of Running Wild with Bear Grylls. We’ll find out when the episode airs.
6. He went to Prague with Tomas Berdych to launch a new event. The two players, who were welcomed by crowds of fans, were promoting the Laver Cup, a new event to be held in September.
7. He assured us all he’s not going anywhere until at least 2019. Last week his home tournament in Basel announced they’d signed him on to play there the next three years, which takes us to the end of the 2019 season. With the Tokyo Olympics the summer after that, could he be eyeing 2020?
8. He played beach tennis against Andy Murray. With the beautiful Burj Al Arab hotel in the background, Federer and Murray played the Dubai Duty Free Beach Tennis Championships - as the tournament called it - last Friday. Watch the highlights video below to find out who won the match:
9. He practiced with Stan Wawrinka. Federer hit the practice courts of Dubai with good friend and fellow Swiss Wawrinka - and it wasn’t all business. Check out highlights from their hit here:
10. He continued his perfect start to the year in Dubai. On Monday night, Federer improved to 8-0 on the season with a 54-minute, 6-1 6-3 victory over former World No.18 Benoit Paire.